Tuesday 11 October 2016

, , , , ,

Puff Stitch Fingerless Gloves - free crochet pattern


I am currently in the throws of frantic Christmas Fair making prep (too early for the "c" word? Sorry!) and yesterday posted up a photo of a pair of fingerless gloves I made which needless to say I am keeping for myself!

Lots of people have asked about the pattern so I thought I would quickly pop the pattern up here on my blog so you can make yourself a pair too!

I have quite small wrists and often find that normal puff stitch gloves are too fat and bulky for my liking - I always look like I am wearing boxing gloves or the cuffs are too baggy so with that in mind, I used finer yarn which is still lovely and squishy but without the additional bulk.


These gloves fit my freakishly small arms and hands perfectly but make sure you check the fit as you go - if you find the first few rows are too tight, try going up a hook size or two.


*** YouTube tutorial now up!***



Puff Stitch Fingerless Gloves - USA terms


4.5mm hook

210 yards of sock yarn (or any fine dk) - (I've used hand dyed yarn from Fleabubs by Lala )  colourway "Grey Skies"



Stitches used:


Chain (ch)
Foundation single crochet (FSC)
Slip stitch (ss)
Single crochet (sc)

Puff stitch (yarn over, insert hook into stitch, draw up loop of yarn - repeat 3 more times, yarn over, draw through all loops on hook, chain 1 to secure)







Working in rounds

1. FSC 30, join with slip stitch to form a circle.

2. 1 sc in each chain around, join with ss (30)

3. Ch1, 1sc in each stitch around, join with ss (30)

4. Ch1, puff into same stitch. Skip a stitch, puff into next. Repeat around, join with ss to top of first puff. (15 puffs)

5 . SS into the space between your puff stitches from the row below. Ch1, puff. 1 puff in each space around, join with ss to top of first puff (15 puffs)


Repeat Round 5, 15 more times




Thumb hole section - now working in rows



Chain 3, TURN puff in between each puff from row below, ending with last puff in the same space as your ch3. (15 puffs)

Chain 3, TURN. Puff in spaces between puffs ending with last puff in ch3 space. (15 puffs)

Chain 3, TURN. Puff in spaces between puffs ending with last puff in ch3 space. (15 puffs)

Chain 3, TURN. Puff in spaces between puffs ending with last puff in ch3 space. (15 puffs)

Chain 1, TURN. Puff in spaces between puffs ending with last puff in ch3 space. Chain 4, join with ss to top of first puff in this row. (15 puffs)


Chain1, TURN. Puff in ch4 space, puff in each space around. Join with ss to top of first puff. Do not turn at end of this row, back to working in rounds (15 puffs)



Working in rounds - Repeat Round 5, 4 more times (15 puffs)



Finishing off your gloves



Ch1, sc in top of each puff AND in each space between puffs around, join with ss to top of first sc (30)

Repeat sc row once more.



Cut yarn and weave in ends.



I've written this in a bit of a rush so if you spot any errors please let me know! 


Happy hooking! 

Robin x





23 comments:

  1. Please tell me.
    What Yarn did you use? It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. I found it. I was so excited to read your beautiful pattern I skipped right over it.
    Thank you for sharing. The smaller less bulky glove is just what I need for my daughter. Despite being a teen she still has to wear children watches and bracelets. It can be frustrating to find pattern the work for her straight away.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she is like me then they should work straight away! haha my arms are like a childs - I always have to tweak glove patterns for myself as the cuff LITERALLY never fits nicely! Argh! xx

      Delete
  3. They are beautiful! I also have tiny hands and wrists, and pretty much always have to resize arm warmer patterns... I love puff stitches and cannot wait to try your pattern out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one haha! Child arms for life! LMAO x

      Delete
  4. these are awesome! do you know how much yarn they take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just less than one skein of the yarn but didn't pay attention to how much I actually used I'm afraid! Xx

      Delete
    2. that helps, thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. I was wondering if there was any way you could clarify the thumb hole section. I've tried it 3 times and can not get it to come out right. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya April - what is it that isn't working for you? X happy to help!

      Delete
    2. I actually figured it out! I somehow kept messing up that first row on the thumb hole section. My daughters love these so thank you so much for sharing the pattern.

      Delete
  6. Is this pattern already in US terms?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does it HAVE to be 30 FSC? I'm only 25 and it already doesn't fit my wrist.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! It only needs to be an even number of FSC x :)

      Delete
  8. I checked out the website but I can't seem to find the specific yarn thay you used and I could LOVE it for other projects!! Would you be able to tell me the name of it please? =] Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! It was called Grey Skies - she doesn't have any dyed up at the moment but she takes custom orders! Xx

      Delete
  9. I just finished one glove. Is there a blog post about weaving the yarn in at the end? I am a beginner and have only finished 3 projects so far. 2 of them have already unravelled at the end! this one is so pretty that I want to finish it correctly! :) Also, if you are on instagram, I'll tag you so that you can the finished product! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your talent with others. May God bless you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This old dog CAN still learn! Love that "foundation single crochet" on the edge, so professional looking! The fluff stitch was fun and when I completed the second one. ..TA-DA!!!
    This was definitely a fun adventure. Can't wait to try out different kinds of yarn, colors and textures.
    Thank you for a delightful pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thank you for this lovely pattern! I made a pair for a friend of mine, and was wondering if there is a matching hat pattern with puff stitches? Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I bought the same yarn as you because I love the pattern of your mittens but I can't seem to get the same color progression.
    Do you have a tip for the colors to match like in your photos ?
    For my part, I get a first puff stitch with a little purple, then a multicolored (blue, green, yellow) and one with yellow-red tones then it starts again on gray. However, the colors don't overlap from row to row like you.
    I told myself that even if it's the same yarn as yours, it may not be colored exactly the same way and that's why I don't have the same color progression.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it just put it down in my note book so i can make one for my bffs when there is no internet

    ReplyDelete